Thursday 17 January 2013

Sugar cookie bars

So I came across this recipe on Pinterest a few days ago and being the sugar cookie lover that I am pinned it to try. It claimed to taste as good as real sugar cookies but with the convenience of not having to roll out dough, use cutters and frost each individual cookie. Less work with the same great taste? I'm sold!

I baked them this morning since we have company coming for dinner. I used my kitchen-aid mixer and found the ease to be true, it took no time at all to do! The recipe directions said to bake for 17-20 minutes at 375 but I quickly took mine out after 10 minutes as the sides were already browning. I would not want to cook them any longer (I like my sugar cookies super soft anyways.)

Here is the recipe:

2-1/2 cups bread flour (or all-purpose flour is fine)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 Tbsp. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
Pinch of salt
Several drops of food coloring (optional)

Directions:
COOKIES: Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. (The longer you beat it, the fluffier your cookies will be.)
Add egg and combine well.
Add sour cream and vanilla and mix until completely blended.
Slowly add the flour mixture and stir until well combined.
Gently press the batter into the greased baking dish and spread out with hands. (If you butter your hands, this will help with the stickiness.)
Bake 17-20 minutes, or until edges become lightly golden (I baked for 10 minutes)
Set aside to cool completely.

FROSTING: In a medium bowl, cream together butter, powdered sugar, and half and half until light and fluffy.
Stir in vanilla and salt, combine well.
Add food coloring until desired color.
Frost your cooled cookie bars evenly.
Cut into squares and serve.


So after finishing and taking several taste tests I gotta say, I LOVE these. So much so that I think they will be my new go to treat to bake for company, parties or to prepare for church functions. They really do taste as good as sugar cookies if you bake them properly and they are so super easy. Too easy really, this won't be good for my pregnancy weight gain folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment