Wednesday 19 September 2012

The later nap transition



Noah really likes his sleep. It wasn't until he was 8 months old that he really started sleeping through the night though (...and I'm sorry - I just can't consider it through the night until I am getting 7 or 8 straight hours in a row.)

Even after getting a full 12 hours of sleep and waking up around 6:30am, he was zonked and ready for bed by 9:30am. Problem was, he would sleep until maybe 11:30ish and then that was it for the day. This lead to full on melt downs by 4:00 in the afternoon and made me watch the clock tick down til my husband arrived to help me with him.

So over the past month or two we have been in the process of pushing his nap back, half an hour at a time. I am very happy to say that on average he now goes to bed around 11:30, sometimes even 12:00! He then sleeps for anywhere between two and three hours - bliss! It's especially nice for me because by that time I feel like I need some quiet down time for myself, where as at 9:30 in the morning I was usually just getting going on things.

This has also allowed us to push his bedtime back a little later. Before he was exhausted by 6:30pm and would basically go to bed right after dinner. Now we usually have a bit of time to play, have a bath or go for a walk before he goes down at 7:30.



We are heading to Hawaii very soon and I am a little curious how the three hour time change will affect him, but I'm hoping he will just be able to take naps in his stroller whenever need be and that we can stick to somewhat of a normal morning/evening schedule. We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. YAY for a later nap! We didn't have any problems with nap time in Maui-but Abby is a champ when it comes to sleeping. My brother-in-laws's daughter had a very difficult time, but it gets sorted out eventually. My only advice is don't get caught up on a schedule. My inlaws have a very strict schedule with their daughter at home and that made travelling really difficult for them. We have a routine with Abby and as long as we kept our routine, the time didn't really matter, so she did great no matter what continent we were on! :) Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete