Friday 15 July 2011

Pack your bags!

I have had a very interesting 48 hours.

I have been having braxton hicks contractions for well over a week now each day, but on Wednesday morning something changed. I was busy folding baby blankets and laundry after finally getting around to washing it all and I started getting contractions. I figured this was braxton hicks as usual, tried to ignore it and proceeded to go out with my dear cousin (who is only a few weeks behind me in her pregnancy) for coffee. The difference was that I felt like I was getting my period, which obviously wasnt happening. My legs just ached and I was cramping at the bottom of my belly. Towards the end of our coffee chit chat my lower back started to really bother me. It continued for about 3 hours with the contractions coming every 15-20 minutes. Then, just like that, they stopped (the contractions, not the back ache or menstrual like cramps)

430pm comes around and they start up again. Little more intense this time. I thought this was pretty weird so I decided to try some different things to make them stop (which is what is suppose to happen if its only braxton hicks) Bounced on my excercise ball for a while, walked around the house, laid down on the couch. Nothing stopped them. They went on for another 3 or 4 hours at about 15 minutes apart. This was getting tiring! In fact I went to bed early because I was so tired and I wasnt sure what was coming.

Woke up at midnight with all the same things but again, more intense then before. I was starting to wonder if this was it! I even put a towel underneath me while I tried to sleep just in case my water broke. Contractions were 10 minutes apart but I was so tired that I just drifted in and out of sleep for the 3 hours they lasted.

Woke up the next morning feeling fairly well rested and went to the spend the day with my momma who was going to take me to the doctors in the afternoon (she had come home from camping for the day just to make sure she wasnt going to miss anything.) I continued to have contractions in the morning and then again in the doctors office while waiting to be seen. Had a chat and check up with the doctor and after a fairly long appointment with alot of information here is what he said. "Are your bags packed? Your bags need to be packed and ready to go anytime." He says I have crossed over from braxton hicks to prelabour and am definitely having contractions. He figures I am probably around 1-2 cm dialated already and that the baby has dropped his head into the right spot. He did say that the prelabour can last quite a while - but that based on everything I should be delievering in the next two weeks. Oh, and I am measuring a week ahead at 38 weeks already. YIKES!

The news was a little overwhelming. I had mentally prepared myself to hear the Doctor say that it was just braxton hicks and to expect to go until my due date and stop complaining because it was going to be a while. But nope! Now Im just waiting around to see when this little guy decides to show up and PRAYING that the doctor is right :)

No comments:

Post a Comment